Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Daring Bakers' Challenge - October 2010

The October 2010 Daring Bakers challenge was hosted by Lori of Butter Me Up. Lori chose to challenge DBers to make doughnuts. She used several sources for her recipes including Alton Brown, Nancy Silverton, Kate Neumann and Epicurious.

I was very excited about this challenge, looking to kick it up a notch from the National Doughnut Day adventure. At The Artist's request, I got things rolling with chocolate doughnuts.

They looked pretty good, but the dough was pretty gooey, so when I went to fry them, they formed a battered crust on the outside. They also got a bit burned, so the outsides were very crispy. I don't fry all that often, and it showed with this challenge.

SOOOOO...to redeem myself, I went out to Sur La Table and bought a mini doughnut pan. This pan baked up the cutest little pumpkin doughnuts! Much tastier, and much easier. The doughnuts bake up in only five minutes. You're never far from doughnuts with this pan.

I quickly dusted the pumpkin doughnuts with cinnamon sugar. Soft and yummy, it's way too easy to eat a whole dozen; especially when they're only about an inch wide =).




3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of baked doughnuts and the baking pan sounds so interesting, love the photos sorry to hear about the deep frying. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, seeing your baked donuts makes me want to pick up a donut pan - they look fantastic!! Sorry the frying didn't go very well, but great job on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog